17 January 2011

Problems with wrong Alternate Access Mappings in SharePoint

Does it ever happen to you that you're overwhelmed with problems, and you have no idea where to start? ... That was recently the case for me.

I started a new Internet Web site in SharePoint 2007 (Anonymous site). I created a new edit site in a different port. Everything looked normal, the web parts are standards. The usual design ... All good.

Then ... Problems began to emerge:

1. One Web Part that works with the site columns, does not work well on the editing site. I looked the code, but everything looks ok... The usual site (port 80) is working properly.

2. For some reason, in the editor site, it's impossible to list using the datasheet.

3. The most serious problem, when entering into Share Point Designer, and trying to run "Detach from Page Layouts" to a page


I get "object reference not set to an instance of an object." What does this mean?


I will not give you my rigors of the journey for finding a solution, (Google didn’t help this time), but rather just give you my solution.

The most important thing once you've created a new editor’s site, change the "Alternate Access Mappings" correctly.

Notice the editing site is setup properly.

Go to the "Alternate Access Mappings" in "Central Administration"


Define the editor site to an "Extranet" with the right port (edit port).


Yours,
RoI

No comments:

Post a Comment